Monday, September 10, 2012

// // 6 comments

Sidewalk Chalk Pumpkins



Some of my best secrets are the ones my kids come up with themselves...like these sidewalk chalk pumpkins!

The children don't need any special instructions or tools.  Just show them the pumpkins and hand them a pail of sidewalk chalk.  They'll figure out the rest!

My younger preschoolers and older toddlers especially appreciated this activity.  It lets them be creative, express themselves, strengthen fine muscles and motor skills, color, share their creations, and touch pumpkins (oooh!  When was the last time they did that?)!  They can even "erase" it all and do it again!  After they explore, take the time to talk about what they did, the colors they used, the colors of the pumpkin, their favorite parts, if all the pumpkins felt the same, and what they noticed about texture.

My five-year old did point out that the pumpkins have a different texture than sidewalk, and that the texture makes some of the pictures look funny.  She also noticed that sidewalk chalk makes a different picture when it's wet than when it's dry. 

Clean up is a snap:  wipe the chalk off with a paper towel, rag, or spray it off with a hose.  You can do it again the next day, or admire it for a few days!



I may share at any of these parties!

6 comments:

Veronica said...

That's a fun idea! around her we love the simple projects. They turn out the best!

Ladies Holiday said...

What a great idea to do with the abundance of sidewalk chalk I have.
Saying Hi from Mom on A Time Out Hop...I host Photo Friday Link Party, I'd love to have you link up this or any other original photo from your blog. Happy Hopping!

Carla at Preschool Powol Packets said...

Veronica, I completely agree!

Thanks, Ladies Holiday! I'll definitely come by!

Crystal said...

Love this! Thanks for sharing in the Mommy Club. I'm featuring you today at 2pm on my Facebook page! Have a super weekend!

http://www.crystalandcomp.com/2012/09/the-mommy-club-share-your-resources-and-solutions-61/
Crystal

Beth said...

My kids love using chalk on everything. This is a great idea!

Unknown said...

Love all the children's observations as they did this simple pumpkin decorating! Thank you so much for linking up to this week's Discover & Explore!