I've been through this stage with two of my own kiddos and decided the best solution is to plant flowers that are edible! I now have a yard full of edible flowers! I thought I'd share this collection of some of my favorites so you can grow them and not stress when your little one decides to eat the newest blossom!
A few quick precautionary notes: make sure you have the real plant and not a similar-looking, but toxic, imitation. I like to buy the plants from our hardware store so I know exactly what they are.
Also, I am no doctor or even herbologist...just a mom and teacher trying to share something helpful. If you're concerned about something your child has eaten call a doctor or poison control. Anything your child is allergic to can be deadly if eaten.
And, while many of these flowers actually have a pleasant flavor (especially if you remove the white, bitter base), some of them do not taste good at all. If you plan to make a deliberate salad, sample the flowers first! I've found that some of my toddlers have been much less picky about flavor than I am!
And now (without any more preamble!) here are 7 of my favorite edible flowers:
I may share at any of these parties!
Never miss another post again! Sign up for our weekly updates newsletter and get links to all our posts once a week in your inbox! Sign up here!!